How to raceEdit
- The basic mechanics are the same as the ones of the flying mounts.
- You need to finish the rings in order. The next one should light up green and the one after that should have a green swirl effect, I write SHOULD because due to lag this sometimes updates slower than you fly.
- There are hazardous storm clouds and similar looking Bee Swarms which slow you down considerably.
- There are also boons that make you go faster looking like green and blue clouds. The difference between green and blue is that the blue clouds disappear once you go through them and make the life of your competitors harder.
- On a few tracks (Lavastorm and Butcherblock) there are also golden suns which makes you immune to the storm clouds for a short while.
- All clouds override each other, so if you go through a storm cloud and directly afterwards through a green cloud it behaves as if you never encountered the storm cloud and vice versa.
- To get the best times for the titles and to be ranked in the high-score lists you need to study the courses, use the good clouds, avoid the storm clouds and clip the rings.
Velious Launch Aether RacingEdit
- Aether Racing: Butcherblock Mountains starts in Butcherblock Mountains on the Butcherblock Docks.
- The title for a fast time (<84 seconds) is Title: Sea Hawk.
- Aether Racing: Lavastorm starts in Lavastorm on the docks.
- The title for a fast time (<55 seconds) is Title: Smokin' Ace.
- Aether Racing: Tenebrous Tangle starts in Tenebrous Tangle near the top of the Hidden Refuge waterfall.
- The title for a fast time (<137 seconds) is Title: Cloud Buster.
City Festival Aether RacingEdit
Since April 2011 there are 6 tracks for the City Festivals, one per city:
- Aether Racing: Gorowyn in January/July starts in Timorous Deep on the Gorowyn docks.
- The title for a fast time (<245 seconds) is Title: Wind Warden.
- Aether Racing: Greater Faydark in February/August starts in Kelethin, next to the Near Residential Aerie Teleporter.
- The title for a fast time (<95 seconds) is Title: Bixie Barnstormer.
- Aether Racing: Neriak in March/September starts in Darklight Wood near the entrance to Neriak.
- The title for a fast time (<90 seconds) is Title: Fearless Flyer.
- Aether Racing: Antonica in April/October starts in Antonica at the Lighthouse.
- The title for a fast time (<135 seconds) is Title: Bridge Buzzer.
- Aether Racing: Commonlands in May/November starts in Commonlands halfway up the ramp from Fisherman's Dock.
- The title for a fast time (<120 seconds) is Title: Portal Jumper.
- Aether Racing: Halas in June/December starts in Frostfang Sea on the Erollis Dock.
- The title for a fast time (<105 seconds) is Title: Snowflake Chaser.
Fan Faire Aether RacingEdit
At Fan Faire 2011 there was a new race track introduced for the Live quest, which is now available during Tinkerfest (see secton below):
- Aether Racing: Great Divide starts in Great Divide on the Thurgadin Harbor docks.
- The title for a fast time (<121 seconds) is Title: Frigid Flier.
Tinkerfest Aether RacingEdit
Four courses are available during Tinkerfest:
- Aether Racing: Butcherblock Mountains
- Aether Racing: Great Divide
- Aether Racing: Lavastorm
- Aether Racing: Tenebrous Tangle
Spawned Event Aether RacingEdit
- Aether Racing: Thundering Steppes starts in Thundering Steppes on the beach at the Dead River Docks.
For all the above races except the Thundering Steppes one:
- 1 City Token on completion.
- A track specific title for a fast time.
- Completing five races on a single track will reward you a choice of one of the following C.R.A.S.H. Pads (you cannot gain more than 1 Pad per track):
- Some guides also run events at the City Festival and Tinkerfest tracks to gain a Purple C.R.A.S.H. Pad for completing the track they're at.
The following titles are rewarded only on certain tracks, possibly the Velious release tracks.
- Completing your very first race awards Title: Test Pilot.
- Completing 10 consecutive races on a track awards the only suffix Title: Crash Test Dummy Extraordinaire.
Notes by SmokeJumperEdit
So...it turns out that the gnomes are horribly, terribly jealous of the "meat solution" to flying mounts found in Velious and they're working furiously to come up with a tinkering substitution instead. Thus, the debut of "Aether Racing", Tuesday, March 1st 2011!
The tinkerers have cobbled together a rattling, wheezing deathtrap of a flying machine, and they want YOU to test it for them! (They're not stupid enough to test it themselves.) So they've disguised their guinea pig flying program as a set of air racing courses that they've sprinkled throughout Norrath. You can go to either Lavastorm, Butcherblock, or Tenebrous Tangle to join in on the racing action and prizes *are* awarded for good times as incentive for pushing their rattletraps as hard as they'll go.
Race course signup NPCs are close enough to globe or wizard spire zone-in positions that *any* level of character can participate in these races, despite the courses being set in zones that are normally too difficult for some folks.
Come check it out!